Newport, Rhode Island’s Thames Street is the center of Newport’s thriving downtown/waterfront area. Thames Street runs parallel to the harbor, so you’ll have some beautiful views while walking the street. The narrow street is bordered with historic colonials that are lined with local shops and restaurants.
As you make your way down Thames Street, besides the shops, bars and restaurants, you’ll also find museums, bed and breakfasts, marinas and the Newport Harbor. In the summer, they offer skydiving over the harbor and boat tours. On the 4th of July they put on a fireworks show over the harbor that is just beautiful to watch. There is so much to do on Thames that you can easily spend more than one day there without getting bored.
Some of our favorite restaurants:
- Brick Alley Pub (Great Nachos and Sedona Burger)
- Red Parrot
- Thai Cuisine at Thames Street (I love their Pad Thai)
- Firehouse Pizza
Some of our favorite bars:
- O’Brien’s Pub (one of the most well-known Irish bars in the area)
- One Pelham East
- Rhino Bar
Some of our favorite small shops include:
- Muse (if you love painting & wine this is the perfect fit for you)
- Totally Tots
- Thames Glass
- Down Under Jewelry
- Soap Company (the sea foam sponges are the BEST)
- Rag & Bone Art and Design
Whether you’re looking for a great meal, lively nightclub or unlimited shopping, Thames St. has it all. You don’t need a car or even a map. Just walk down the street and enjoy what you find!
Featured image photo courtesy of New England Living